Green Pizza for Table Tuesday
Yes, you read that right! PIZZA! Just because you want to lead a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods. Now it’s even better…you get to eat your favorite foods AND not feel guilty and bloated afterwards! Who wouldn’t want that?!
At my house I’ve implemented something I like to call Table Tuesday (patent pending, jk). Like many 21st century folk, sitting down at the dinner table with family can be hard. This is the one night that it’s mandatory to sit at the table. It doesn’t mean we never sit down the rest of the week, but this night it’s required to have a mindful meal together.
Serving pizza on Table Tuesday has become a favorite; it makes sitting at the table that much more fun! Here is my current favorite pizza recipe that is extremely nutrient dense with anti-inflammatory and high antioxidant ingredients.
If you try out Table Tuesday with your family, post a pic of the delicious and healthy meal you prepare on Instagram and tag #tabletuesday!
*Note: The pizza dough I use yields 2 pies. The ingredients below are for making 1 green pizza. I usually make one green and one traditional red pizza. If you’d like to make both pizzas green, just double the vegetable ingredients. If you want to make a red pizza, it’s very simple…1 can organic pizza sauce (you will only need about 1/3 the can), chopped tomatoes, nut cheese, and fresh basil (add this after the pizza cooked). Voila!
Also, the cheese I used here was homemade. It’s a cashew almond mozzarella recipe that I made from the amazing book This Cheese is Nuts! I highly recommend getting this book! Of course if you don’t have some homemade nut cheese on hand that’s just fine. I recommend the brands Kite Hill or Miyoko’s, both can commonly be found at your health food store.
Super Green Pizza
- 1 box Simple Mills pizza dough
- 1/2 white onion, chopped and caramelized
- Your favorite nut cheese (homemade or Kite Hill Ricotta are my favorites)
- Pine nuts
- 2 stalks of kale, chopped and massaged
- Walnut arugula pesto (click here)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in pan.
- Add onions and saute for 30 minutes until desired color, stirring often.
- While that is cooking, mix up pizza dough, separate into two balls, and flatten on 2 pans lined with parchment paper. I like to make mine crisper, so I flatten it pretty well. It will rise some. Mine is usually about 9+inches wide once flattened.
- Put ingredients together for pesto and mix in nutribullet, food processor, or blender. Scrape down the sides if needed and blend more. Set aside.
- Heat oven at 350 degrees.
- Place dough without topping in oven for 10 minutes.
- Take out and spread pesto on top. Add caramelized onions, massaged kale, and cheese.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Take out and sprinkle pine nuts.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!