Happy Earth Day 2021 from this tree hugger (literally).
My love and passion for protecting this beautiful planet never waivers. And my lifestyle and daily choices reflect that.
There are so many ways our species has been hurting the planet, polluting and pillaging every which a way. At times it seems like it’s only getting worse and we have no control of the situation. Unfortunately, in many ways that is true. A lot of the larger issues plaguing the Earth are producer problems, not consumer. There’s also the lack of leadership from governments here and around the world. Many politicians claim to care about the planet, saying all the right things to get the votes, but when it comes down to it the only thing they really care about is the corporations.
At the end of the day we as individuals can only do our best and collectively we CAN make a big impact.
- 𝙍𝙚𝙨𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙘𝙝 the companies you buy from. Make sure they’re using truly sustainable practices. If they’re not, DON’T buy from them!
- 𝙍𝙚𝙙𝙪𝙘𝙚 your consumption of goods. Making new product requires a lot of materials and energy.
- 𝘽𝙪𝙮 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙪𝙨𝙚𝙙 items.
- Look for products with less packaging.
- 𝙍𝙚𝙪𝙨𝙚 recyclable products for other things. Glass bottle from pickles? Use them as leftover food storage. Plastic bottle? Reuse it so hold paint.
- Next up, do 𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙮𝙘𝙡𝙚 but remember, reducing and reusing is the most important. 𝙍𝙚𝙘𝙮𝙘𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 is not the answer as only a small fraction (around 8% plastic and 27% glass) actually gets recycled.
- And last, but certainly not least, 𝙧𝙚𝙙𝙪𝙘𝙚 𝙤𝙧 𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙢𝙖𝙡 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙙𝙪𝙘𝙩 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙪𝙢𝙥𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣. 𝘼𝙣𝙞𝙢𝙖𝙡 𝙖𝙜𝙧𝙞𝙘𝙪𝙡𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚 is one of the biggest polluters on the planet, contaminating the soil, air, water, and decimating land. It accounts for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than all cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined).
Let us all strive to leave this world a better place than how we found it.