I use to adore twice baked potatoes! So creamy, comforting, and unfortunately unhealthy! These days I make a version that is just as savory but without any of the bad ingredients. I’ve been making them a lot when we’ve had company lately. Our guests rave over them and seem to be amazed that they contain no dairy. I try to explain the reasons why eliminating dairy is important (blog coming soon about that) AND that there are so many alternatives that create the same result. I think they’re more easily convinced of the this when they are tasting the proof themselves!
Note: This recipe calls for a store bought cashew cheese Miyoko’s which I find at Wholefoods. If you are unable to get a hold of some you can sub for 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and an extra tbsp of coconut milk. It comes just as delicious, but not as creamy.
Spinach Artichoke Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 russet potatoes, washed
- 6 tbsp coconut milk
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Large handful spinach, rinsed and chopped. I also like to take the stems off. Makes a softer texture
- 1/2 can of artichokes heart, chopped (marinated or in water works)
- 1 tbsp Miyoko’s Garlic and Herb cheese
- salt to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub coconut over potatoes, place in baking dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- About 30-40 mins in, heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and saute garlic cloves.
- Add in spinach and let wilt.
- Add artichokes hearts, Miyoko’s, coconut milk, and lemon juiced.
- Stir all ingredients. You might need a fork to break up the cheese.
- When potatoes are finished take out and let cool for a few minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half.
- Scoop out the inside of all the halves in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Combine potatoes with the mixture in the pan. Mix together.
- Taste test to see if you’d like to add anything extra.
- Scoop the mixture into potato skins, distributing evenly.
- Place back in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the top is desired golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!