Having a healthy immune system is important at all times of the year, but especially so when there’s something specific going around. Well, now is as good a time as any, because there sure is something specific going around!
One of the best ways to keep our immune systems functionally at its best is through the food we eat. Of course this doesn’t mean we’ll be invincible, but it will make our bodies better equipped to fend off illness and/or limit the severity and length of illness if we happen to get sick.
These delicious Pineapple Ginger Wellness Shots will help do just that! Pineapples are especially great for immune system health because of their high vitamin C content. They’re also excellent for our digestion because of a certain digestive enzyme they contain called bromelain. This makes them a good fruit to be eaten after a meal (most fruit is best eaten alone). This unique enzyme also has anti-inflammatory properties which can help with joint pain and arthritis. Pineapples are great sources of antioxidants (which helps our bodies fight off disease), potassium, calcium, vitamin A, and trace minerals manganese and selenium. Drinking the juice of this tropical fruit can be exceptionally helpful in soothing sore throats and calming coughs that might arise.
Other powerful ingredients in these wellness shots include ginger, lemon, turmeric and coconut water. There’s also the option to add honey which is naturally a powerhouse on its own.
- Used around the world for thousands of years as a natural remedy.
- Relieves nausea and pain
- Promotes proper digestion
- Lowers blood sugar and lowers cholesterol level
- Aids in digestion and detoxification
- Promotes weight loss
- Energy booster
- Boosts immune system
- Can help relieve pain
- Supports healthy joints and mobility
- Promotes heart health
- Supports healthy cholesterol levels
- High in potassium and electrolytes
- Cleansing and detoxifying
- Natural allergy relief
- Energy booster
- Cough suppressant
Pineapple Ginger Wellness Shots
Makes about 2 cups worth
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed (you could also sub for pineapple juice)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 2-3 tbsp)
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric, minced (optional, but highly recommended)
- Sprinkle of pepper if adding turmeric (this boosts the absorption by 2000%)
- 1-2 tbsp local honey (optional, adds more sweetness plus all the health benefits of honey)
- Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Using a wide mouthed container and mesh strainer, strain mixture. Take a small spoon or spatula to help distribute the liquid through. You could also use a nut milk bag to squeeze the liquid out.*
- Serve and enjoy!
These shots can be enjoyed as is or made into a yummy mocktail by simply adding more coconut water and/or some kombucha.
*I love Ellie’s Best Nut Milk Bag! It’s seriously the best one I’ve ever used! Use the code REFINEDHIPPIE and get 10% off!