Sweet potatoes are commonly known for being a health food but do most people know why. Like all yellow or orange vegetables (carrots are also an example), beta-carotene is present. The body then takes this and converts it in vitamin A (retinol), an essential vitamin, which helps boost the immune system, protect the eyes and skin, and many more. They’re also an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, potassium, dietary fiber, and vitamins b6, b1, and b2.
While there are supplements for beta-carotene, the absolute best place to get it is through diet. Too much vitamin A can be toxic and when consuming through the synthetic form of a pill, the body can’t determine when enough is enough. However, when getting the vitamin from food, the body only converts the amount that is needed.
Other foods rich in vitamin A include carrots, spinach, squash, pumpkin, collard greens, kale, cantaloupe, mango.
Fun fact: Sweet potatoes are North Carolina’s state vegetable and they produce about 40% of the national supply.
Loaded Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp coconut and avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup beans of choices, rinsed (I used black beans)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1.5 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Nut cheese of choice (I used Kite Hill ricotta)
- Handful of parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peal and chop sweet potatoes into French fry shape.
- Combine 1 tbsp oil of choice, cumin, and garlic in small bowl.
- Drizzle over sweet potatoes, making sure they are all covered. Add salt and pepper.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and position sweet potatoes in one layer.
- Cook for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While cooking, combine avocado, 1 tsp lemon juice, salt and mash together. Set aside.
- Also while waiting, heat 1/2 tsp coconut oil in pan over medium heat. Add black beans, scallions, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, cumin. Toss well and cook until warmed through.
- Once sweet potatoes are finished, take out and place on plate. Arrange all the toppings how you want.
- Enjoy! Eating them with a fork is easiest. They are kind of messy! 🙂