Being from the South, I know a thing or two about casseroles; they’re a staple around these parts. 🙂 However, they’re generally not very healthy, typically loaded down with meat, dairy, and/or cheese, with a few scattered veggies here and there. Let’s be real, the South itself isn’t exactly the poster child for health food. But that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy delicious casseroles. This broccoli potato casserole is rich with flavor, healthy ingredients, sure to please everyone. Eat it as your main meal or with some other delicious plant dishes, either way you’ll be happy!
Broccoli Potato Casserole
- 3 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 small heads of broccoli (about 3 cups when chopped)
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth*
- 1/2 non dairy milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a small bowl add cashews and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Slice potatoes thin, leaving skin on. Slice broccoli as well.
- Drain cashews and combine with vegetable broth, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, ground flaxseed, and lemon juice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a rectangular baking dish (or square one if you want it on the thicker side!) layer with ingredients. Start with sliced potatoes, drizzle some sauce, then add sliced broccoli, add sauce, and so forth. Continue until ingredients are done. Pour whatever is left of sauce over top.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes, then remove tin foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
*Note: Taste can vary depending on vegetable broth being used and its salt content. I try to go with less added salt to salt with; it can always be sprinkled on afterwards if needed.