Servings: 8-10 patties
Overall Prep/Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 large beet (about 1.5 cups when diced)
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced small
- 1/2 c of mushrooms, diced small
- 1/2 c oat flour*
- 1/4 c brown rice flour
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 4 tbsp water)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp salt and/or pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine ground flaxseed and water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large pan, add diced onions and mushrooms. Saute until tender. About 5-10 minutes.
- Place diced beets in a food processor and pulse until they are a grated texture. Add in cooked onions, mushrooms, and black beans. Pulse until combined well but still have texture. Don’t over process. **If you don’t have a food processor please see the note below.
- Put beet mixture in a large bowl and add in dry ingredients (flours and spices) along with the flaxeggs. Stir well.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form the beet mixture into patties and place on parchment paper.
- Cook for 20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite bread and some sweet potato fries!
*If you don’t have oat flour but have oats, simply add oats to Nutribullet, food processor, or blender. Voila oat flour!
**If you don’t have a food processor, use a cheese grater to grate the beets. For the cooked, vegetables make sure they’re diced small. Add black beans to the pan of veggies (once they’re cooked) and use a potato masher to process the mixture. Put the grated beets in the pan and mix well. Transfer to a large bowl. Now go back up the direction #5 to finish the recipe.