Ever since I started my podcast blogging has taken a bit of a backseat. I’ve decided that needs to change this year! And while in the past I’ve posted a lot of recipes, I thought going forward it’d be nice to sprinkle in some more personal posts as well, starting if off with 30 random facts about me. Because what’s a better way to get to know someone then by reading some bizarre facts about them!?
30 Random Facts About Me, The Refined Hippie:
1. I used to hate cooking! I was actually anti-cooking if you can believe it. The self proclaimed “feminist” in me hated that people “expected” a woman to cook, so I took the opposite stance.
2. If I could have any superpower it would be to communicate with animals. Yea, probably not a shocker there.
3. I rarely leave the house without mascara on, except to go SUP surfing.
4. I barely keep in touch with anyone from high school. It took college and the years after to meet my “tribe” and find my soul friends.
5. My favorite food (if you’d call it that) growing up was popcorn. For Christmas one year my grandfather gave me my own beautiful wooden bowl with “Rebecca’s Popcorn” painted on the side. I used it everyday after school to eat my microwaved bags of popcorn, which I now know are actually super unhealthy. Ekkk. If you want popcorn, cook the kernels in a pot on the stove…much healthier!
6. To piggy back on that last one a little, I had a pet mouse named Bear (he was brown) and he’d sit on my shoulder while I fed him popcorn and watched Nickelodeon after school.
7. I took so many electives in college and was overflowing with credits. I took everything from yoga to theater. Yay, liberal arts!
8. I studied abroad in Rome Italy. Now this might not sound that unique, but what might be intriguing is that I went by myself. That’s right, I didn’t know a soul! I found a program I liked and made it happen. I of course made friends when I got there. It was one of the highlights of my college experience and life in general.
9. My mom is my best friend and I’m so thankful for our relationship.
10. My special party trick is that I can bark like a very big dog really well!
11. I love most all types of music, except for country and rap, unless it’s old school country or rap. None of that new stuff appeals me.
12. I seldom drink, but if I do it’s a hard kombucha or an aviation. What’s an aviation? It’s a 1920’s cocktail with maraschino liquor, creme de violette, lemon juice, and gin.
13. My first major concert was Dave Matthews Band. But if we’re talking about first “real” concert then it was Destiny’s Child when there were 4 members! Does that date me?!
14. I learned to kiteboard surf and had all the gear, but just kind of fell off the wagon and haven’t done it in several years. The first time I took lessons was in Maui – it was magical!
15. In my next life I’m going to be a pro surfer! Alana Blanchard style. PS she’s a vegan!
16. I used to be a sweets junkie and didn’t even know it. My candy of choice was Cadbury eggs or the mini eggs. I could eat an entire bag in a day. I had no willpower! No wonder I had such a messed up gut!
17. I went through a tomboy stage from 4th to 5th grade and basically just wore Umbros the entire time. It was a difficult time for the fam. Haha
18. When I was four years old I told my parents that “nakes (snakes) were your friends and we needed to be nice to nakes.” This terrified them because they were afraid I’d see one and try to pick it up. I still don’t mind snakes. In fact I think they’re pretty fascinating.
19. Growing up we had all different types of animals, cats, dogs, bunnies, turtles, hamsters, mice, horses, goats, and cows. Not all at the same time.
20. In college I dated a guy who lived in different town and university. I spent way too much time on the road traveling to see him on the weekends and slightly regret going up and down the road too much.
21. I loved Jurassic Park as a kid and had (still have) all the VHS’s. Dinosaurs still fascinate me.
22. Broccoli is my absolute favorite vegetable and has been since I was a little kid.
23. My husband and I met on my 25th birthday. It was one of my best (if not THE best) birthdays and years of my life for that reason and many others. We even have a picture of us on that night!
24. When I was little my whole family thought I would grow up to be a veterinarian because of my obvious connection and love for animals. Well, I became another “v” word instead…a vegan! haha
25. I have a bizarre ability to remember faces and voices. I can hear a voice from any cartoon/show/radio and almost instantly know who it is. Same with faces.
26. I used to be nervous about my writing; starting this blog has given me more confidence!
27. After visiting Disney World when I was little and getting to watch the animators work on Aladdin, I wanted to be an artist. That passion has never wavered.
28. I love cartoons! Disney, Pixar, whatever. I’m always down to watch some cartoons!
29. I’ve never been a morning person, but kind of wish I was!
30. My summer job during high school was a life guard. No, I never had to save anyone. I just got to work on my tan everyday. I was “brown as a little berry” (as my grandmother would say! 🙂